Distraction by Tess Oliver


Tess Oliver is a teacher and writer who lives in California with her husband, kids, a small pack of pampered dogs, and the recent addition of three ridiculously cute pygmy goats. She loves horses, chocolate and Jane Austen books. She has a BS of Nutrition Science, and a MA in Curriculum and Instruction. She is also an author published by Barron's Educational Publisher.

Website
Blog
Facebook
Goodreads
Twitter


As false accusations of witchcraft consume Salem Village, eighteen-year-old Poppy Seabrooke, a true witch, is content to stay away from the hysteria and more importantly from the relentless advances of Angus Wolfe, a powerful warlock masquerading as Salem’s pastor.

When Poppy uses her magic to help a young boy, she is arrested. Angus is the only person who can help her, but, in return, she must promise her hand in marriage. In desperation, Poppy’s grandmother sends her two hundred years into the future to hide. Poppy finds herself years from home in the middle of a strange place called Montana where rooms light up without candles or sorcery, steam puffing dragons roar across fields on tracks, and cows sprout horns as long as tree trunks. And while Poppy hides from the man who turns her heart cold as ice, she discovers the man who can set it on fire.

Cade Tanner has always lived fast and hard, and he prefers it that way. The last thing he needs is a girl to distract him from running the cattle ranch his father left him. But Poppy, the sweetly innocent beauty with the soft smile and dark eyes, who seemingly fell from the sky, is tough to ignore. But Cade soon finds that falling for Poppy comes with a dangerous price.


Q) What inspired you to write this story?
Romance is always my inspiration for any story. I love dreaming up the setting and the characters. With Distraction, I knew I wanted an element of magic, a historical setting, and a hard-edged cowboy. I jogged a few different scenarios around in my head for awhile and came up with a seventeenth century witch and a nineteenth century cowboy.

Q) How long did it take you to write?
I teach during the school year, so my writing time is limited. I spent about three months writing Distraction. Winter break really helped me move it along.

Q) What is your favorite thing about writing?
I love coming up with the ideas, the plot and the characters. I also always look forward to writing the romance scenes.

Q) What is your least favorite thing about writing?
Revisions, editing, and having to sit so long in one place.

Q) If you could be any famous person for one day, who would you be and why?
That’s easy -- Jane Austen. I would love to experience what things were like in Regency England, and I would love to be brilliant like Jane, even if only for a day.

Q) What is the oldest thing in your fridge and how old is it?
I bought a spicy hummus several months ago. It was one of those things that sounded good at first, but by the time I got it home to the fridge the allure had vanished. I know I should toss it, but I feel guilty about throwing away an unopened container so I just keep pushing it around in there. I wonder what the shelf life is for hummus.

Q) What can readers expect from you in the future?
I’m close to releasing my first novel that fits into the new adult genre. It is a contemporary and I’m excited about stretching into this new genre. I’m also busy gathering the research for book three of the Years from Home series.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)