Movie Review Monday

I have a guest blog up here and here.  Check them out.

That's My Boy (2012)

There are some movies that you watch the trailer for and just know that they are going to be bad.  This was one of those films.  Normally, I don't mind Adam Sandler.  This movie, however, was never on my "to watch" list.  The spouse wanted to see it, though, and I had nothing better to do, so I watched it.

In a nutshell, the film is about relationships and how socially reprehensible they are.  The film opens with a 13 year old boy having a crush on his teacher, and that teacher responds by having an inappropriate relationship with said student, which results in a pregnancy.  When the relationship is exposed, the boy instantly becomes a celebrity because he lived every adolescent boy's dream. 

The depravity doesn't stop there.  The film examines the relationships between fathers and sons and how they have been corrupted, the relationships between mothers and sons, strippers and customers, brothers and sisters, and the older generation and the younger generation.  It attempts to examine why some relationships are more socially unacceptable than others and challenges our perception of them.  There were parts of the film that made me very uncomfortable and some made my stomach churn, but I think they were supposed to.

Well, that's how I viewed the movie anyway.  It's possible the film was nothing more than an attempt at comedy using alcohol, drugs, and sex.  If it was, it wasn't very funny.  Of course, I outgrew that humor when I became a parent.  For me to sit through it, however, I had to find some deeper meaning.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)