Movie Review Monday

Kick-Ass (2010)

I had no expectations for this film. In fact, I barely remembered seeing trailers for it. I knew that it was pretty violent, but that was about it. I was taken aback when I started watching it.

At first, I was just sitting back and enjoying the ride. I can tell you why no one has become a super hero: because it's a hard, thankless job rife with danger. Hell, cops get PAID to do that job, and look how they're treated. AND, if you're going to become a super hero, wouldn't you learn how to fight? I mean, it seems like common sense. Just because you put on a suit, it doesn't automatically give you the ability to defend yourself. Ah, the young and idealistic.

I loved the idea behind it. I've thought about being a super hero. Who hasn't? I really liked how he inspired the rest of the community. Very touching. The film took a completely different turn when Hit Girl and Big Daddy show up at that one guys house. When she starts killing everyone, I just turned to my spouse, eyes wide, wondering what the hell just happened.

The film was smart and funny with a serious side. Some parts dragged a little, but, for the most part, the movie was extremely entertaining. Even though it was a high school film, it didn't beat the audience over the head with teen-isms. There were some, of course, but it wasn't overbearing. I really enjoyed the whole super hero creation and the birth of bad guys. I've been watching a lot of super hero stuff lately since the 3 year old is so into it, so I really liked how this film stuck close to comics yet made fun of the whole subculture. It was highly entertaining.

Have you seen this movie? What did you think?
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)